Maybe I shouldn’t be writing this. But it came to me as I wrapped up my upper body workout. I’m typing this while walking on treadmill. I’m breaking some blogging rules, but I’m going for it.
Does that ever happen to you?
Maybe I shouldn’t be writing this. I’m no expert. In fact, I’m still struggling with it. But I’m closer to where I want to be.
I’m closer to who I want to be.
So here it is. This is a work in progress. Let me know your thoughts.
How to quit social media.
1. Know it probably won’t happen the first time around. When you fall down, get back up and keep trying.
2. There has to be a first time (fast, deactivate, delete). Why not now? Now is much better than later.
3. Replace it with something else. You will feel lost for a while. I’m still having withdrawals. Do more exercise. Clean out your closet. Take more naps. Sign up for Toastmasters. Take a cooking class. Finish those books. Exercise more!
4. Appreciate what your gaining (autonomy, time, self-control, more connected to people in your home and community.
5. Don’t broadcast on social media. Trust me! Don’t! Just start it. It may feel weird not sharing your plans. But you will be better off for it.
6. You will need more than willpower. Delete. That’s the most effective. Even then on Facebook, they make it hard by giving you 30 days to activate again. Clean up your phone. Delete apps. Deactivate posting your blogs on social media. Sure, your “follower number” will go down, but long term it will be worth it. If people are interested in what you have to say, they will find you.
Sweat is falling on my phone. This is enough for now.
Let me know how you do.
I Can Do…So Can you
Feel free to like, share, comment.
Oh my gosh!! I thought I was the only one who felt the same way you do. I indeed have closed all of my (well, excepty for WordPress blog LOL) social media accounts three years ago and that was the best decision of my life 🙂 Yes, it was hard but, I realized it took up way too much of my time when I should have been doing more important things. I hated all the bells and whistle notifications going off. It drove me crazy. I hate even having my stupid smart phone! That thing keeps going off with phone calls, text messages, and emails. So there comes a time when in-between I take mental breaks from it all 🙂 Glad you found more meaningful things to do in your free time!
Very cool! Thank you Lissa! That is really fantastic. Wow! 3 years. I went about 5 months in 2016. I know I can do it again. Keep up with me.
Right on! YES YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN 🙂 Baby steps and one day at a time. I sure will keep up with you too! I quit my social media cold turkey LOL. Social media is so addicitng so that was why I did it cold turkey.
Several people keep saying I need FB, IG and/or TW to promote my blog, book, business as a freelancer, find housing, keep up with people I can’t reach otherwise, meet dates, make friends, see events, learn news, network, etc. I’ve resisted. But I recently paid for a Problogger class that I know says pick one of the big three social media and use it. So we’ll see.
Yeah it just depends. I think there needs to be some caution with it. Many businesses has someone who will do all of their social media sites for them. That may be something to look into.
Comments are closed.